A happy marriage means that after 20 years you still have that newlywed glow. Do you have it? If not, these 12 tips for a happy marriage can help you get it back.
1. Make time for each other. Time to listen. Time to talk. Time to just be together. Play and work as a couple. Instead of rushing, slow down.
2. Appreciate something good about your partner. Tell him/her. Tell others, in front of him/her.
3. Share common goals and values. Work as a team to achieve them. Push and pull for the same basic things in your lives.
5. Smile. At yourself, your friends, your family, and strangers. Smile especially at those that seem to be having a hard day. Warning: smiles are contagious and those you smile at are likely to smile back at you.
6. Take time for yourself. Do something special for yourself each day…enjoy a cup of gourmet coffee, take a bubble bath, or relax with a hobby.
7. Use the best things you have. Don't save them for special occasions. Wear new clothes while they fit, eat produce at its peak, use your good dishes for everyday meals. Enjoy every one of your possessions.
8. Take time for your partner. Do a good deed. Give sincere compliments.
9. Enjoy the common miracles of life. Watch the sunrise. Smell wild flowers. Listen to the birds flying overhead.
10. Laugh. Share a joke, read the comics…or tickle and be tickled back.
11. Celebrate each day. Find good in it.
12. Decide to be happy. Think positively. Remember that you bring about what you think about. You have control over how you feel.
Notice that these things are all about you? Some don't involve your mate at all. That's because having a happy marriage is only partly about the other person. But, it's all about you. You – your actions, your thoughts, your beliefs. You have the power to determine your marital happiness.